What was once a saw…


In the previous post I mentioned the problem I’m having with too much ‘stuff’. One of the ways to deal with this is to take some of the excess and convert it into something you need but don’t have.

Last weekend I took an unwanted sawblade (cost 50c) and turned it into a couple of card scrapers. It’s good old steel and took a bit of work to cut, in the end the old aviation sheers did all the work when the jigsaw refused to touch it.

I marked out a couple of rectangles and cut them out. After that I filed the cutting edge flat, polished it with a stone then used an old firmer chisel to make the hook.

Not the prettiest tools around, but they work nicely. The smaller of the two will get a rounded end when I get time. I’d not used a scraper before but from the results I got trying these out I think I will be using them often.

 

A new carving mallet


One of the guys at my local woodworking group had recently turned some carving mallets for a few of the members. After seeing me admiring them he kindly offered to make me one if I could find a piece of wood I liked.

I got hold of a small length of spotted gum and here’s the results, safely housed in a new rack I made for it this afternoon.

Saw Making Resources


I’m looking to convert an old smallish tenon saw into one that’s more suited to making dovetails, so went looking for handle templates. Wenzloff & Sons have kindly made a number of great templates available to the public here so I think I may be using one of the open handled designs.

There’s also more templates here at Galoototron that are well worth a look, and a fantastic tooth gauge chart at the bottom of the page as well.

There’s also a great article on making saw handles here that may come in handy, I especially like Tim’s method of starting the kerf in the handle.

There’s also a couple more good saw making articles here including guides to making your own saw vice.

In progress and finished pictures of my efforts will appear on the blog as always.

A new mallet and square


I decided yesterday that I spend far too much time either talking about woodworking, typing about woodworking, collecting tools for woodworking or collecting wood for woodworking, without actually doing much woodworking!

In an attempt to remedy this, here’s the first two of my “5 projects in 5 days” that I’m doing over the long weekend.

The first is a simple laminated mallet, the wood is something unknown I salvaged from a pallet but I knew I liked it a lot. It’s very very hard. I had no idea what to do with it so took an offcut to work and played with it all week, trying to find out what it wanted to be. This is what it decided to become!. It’s a little rough but I’m very proud of it, and it feels just right in my hand.

The second is something I’ve been wanting to make for ages, and never got around to. It’s a simple framing square, the wood’s from a $6 piece of meranti, the finish is raw linseed oil. It’s as square as the bought squares in my shop and I can see myself using it a lot. 20 minutes work and again I’m happy with the result, even if it is something a 10 year old could make!