I asked Santa (aka my gf) for a craftright folding workbench for Christmas. My dad’s used one for years for smaller jobs, and I wanted somewhere to work. These are fantasic little benches for handyman work but they need a little extra for serious woodwork. With that in mind I made a few modifications to mine
The original is shown below. First step was to put on slightly thicker and wider hardwood benchtops, which had the added advantage of raising the height about 2cm which suited me better. Dad’s old vice was mounted in and given wide jaws with some scrap blackbutt that I had laying around. The inside vice jaws got a facing of meranti so they had a more consistant clamping surface.
The handles broke off when I dropped it so I need to shape dowels to fit them, and I’d like to finish the edges with blackbutt if I can find enough around the workshop. It’s gone from about 10kg to near 30 with these changes so is a lot more stable, and still folds up fine.
Next steps are to add a hardwood block on one side so that the inside vice can be used for edge planing, and to swap the thin steel crossbars for something heavy, more blackbutt if I can because I know it’s likely to last for years. After that I’ll put back the two other end dogholes and make up some new benchdogs, and it should be great.